Bloat in dogs is a typical large breed syndrome in which there is significant expansion and stomach torsion due to the accumulation of gases, liquids or food.
Ligaments stomach can not stand the stomach dilation, causing stomach to turn around its axis. Under normal circumstances, the stomach of the dog empties its contents for their own physiological mechanisms, but in this case the animal can not download the contents and the stomach begins to widen. As a result, the dog tries to throw away the contents of the stomach and this only turns, itself, completely blocking the holes that connect to the esophagus and guts. The torsion causes, arteries, veins and blood vessels compressed digestion and thus stops the circulation and organs stop blood from working. It is a serious illness if untreated treatment can lead to the death of the animal.
Keep reading this article contains everything about the bloat in dogs, symptoms and treatment.
Causes of bloat in dogs
Although gastric torsion can occur in any breed, the largest is that more predisposition, such as doggies and those with deep chest as Weimaraner have the medium poodle or boxer.
The causes of this problem are :
– Large intake of food or fluids animal eats a lot of food or liquids quickly and after physical exercise. It is a typical example of the young dogs of large breeds. In older dogs is usually given by an accumulation of air that physiologically can not be evacuated.
– Stress: can easily occur in dogs due to changes in routine, mating, excessive excitement, etc.
– Family member with a history of gastric volvulus.
Symptoms of bloat in dogs
Because this disease can happen with a dog and must be addressed immediately, it is good to know the symptoms respond in time. Thus, the most common signs that a dog may suffer from a dilated stomach or stomach torsion are:
– Unsuccessful attempts vomiting and nausea, the animal tries to vomit, but does not really get it.
– Fear and unrest: the dog is constantly moving and is restless.
– abundant salivation.
– Abdomen swollen: abdominal dilatation observed. an eardrum percussion belly sound can be heard.
– Breathing problems.
– Weakness, depression and lack of appetite.
If your dog exhibits any of these symptoms you should immediately go to the vet because this can suffer an episode of dilation and stomach torsion.
The veterinarian makes the diagnosis of torsion or gastric dilatation based on clinical symptoms affecting the dog and a number of additional functions. Race and the history of the dog can support the diagnosis, since, as discussed in the previous paragraphs, this disease is more common in some breeds of dogs and cats that have suffered previously.
X-rays also tend to confirm this diagnosis. X-ray clearly shows you whether the stomach is swollen or not. In addition, when the stomach is rotated, the pylorus is observed shifted relative to its normal position.
There are no home remedies or tricks that may apply. Before the bloat of the dog must immediately go to the vet if it is an emergency in which the life of the animal endangers.
Try to go with care until you reach your trusted vet and try to avoid too much exercise. Once there, the veterinarian anesthetized the animal and manage fluids and intravenous antibiotics. Will proceed to the contents of the stomach by tube orogastric extracting through the mouth, stomach and decompressing will lavage Gastric. If not, the probe, the stomach trocarizará! Thus, the abdominal wall was drilled with a drill or needle. Finally, there is an operation in which the stomach is adjusted to the chest wall in order to reduce the risk of another bloat in dogs.
The prognosis depends on the severity of the disease. When dilatation and torsion are treated early, the prognosis is favorable. However, if necrosis has started to occur, the death rate is high even after the operation. Dogs that exceed 48 hours of work usually have a very good chance of survival. Therefore, you should go to a veterinary medical center as soon as possible, to do so your pet could die within hours.
Especially in the summer it is very important to be warned and informed to avoid possible dilatation and stomach torsion in dogs. Here are some tips :
– Fractioning the food: it is to prevent our pet ingests large amounts of food. The goal is to distribute food throughout the day, in two or three portions smaller than a larger one.
– Drink plenty of water to avoid so quickly, especially after lunch.
– Limit physical exercise: it has to prevent the dog from doing a lot of physical activity before and after lunch, leaving 2 hours of margin.
– Do not provide food late at night.
– Do not emphasize the animal while eating: it can be left to eat quietly and no stress.