There are people who sometimes give their dogs a piece of fruit. Fruit can be very healthy for a person. But do not forget that some fruits can be very harmful to your dog. Your puppy or growing dog can even get sick of it. Some fruits are so poisonous that dogs can die there. When do you warn the vet? Is an avocado dangerous for a dog? You will receive answers to these and other questions when you read further.
What is an avocado ?
The avocado is a green fruit that grows on a tree. When a lawyer is sufficiently matured, the fruit is wonderfully soft. The shell is quite hard, slightly ribbed and dark green to black in color. The fruit has a big kernel that needs to be removed for consumption. Avocados are available throughout the year.
Nutrients in an avocado
An avocado contains the following nutrients :
– Saturated fat
– Beta carotene
– Vitamins E, B1, B2 and B6
– Folic acid
Insurance for your dog
It can always go wrong .. the costs of draining the stomach of the dog (or worse ..) are sky-high. In almost all cases it is a lot cheaper to give the dog a cheap basic insurance. Compare here the list of cheap dog insurances where you can insure your dog the best and cheapest possible.
Is eating an avocado dangerous for a dog ?
In avocado there is a substance called persine. This substance is obviously not toxic to people but for your four-legged friend. It depends on how much your dog has eaten. The larger the quantity, the greater the chance that a poisoning occurs.
Do I have to go to a vet ?
As described above, it depends on how much the dog has eaten from the avocado. In case of poisoning by avocado, your dog may start to vomit and be diarrhea. You can develop heart failure in your puppy or older dog within the twenty-four to forty-eight hours. In case of heart failure your dog can get the following problems :
– Reduced endurance
– Moisture accumulation under the skin
– Blue discolored mucous membranes.
When your dog gets one of these complaints it is wise to contact your vet. Eating a larger amount of avocado can even be fatal for your dog. Also when you are in doubt, it is wise to discuss this with your veterinarian.