You know or you do not know, but chocolate can indeed be deadly for your dog. Although dogs are often keen on the taste of chocolate, eating them is not without risks. The consequences can even be so serious that they can result in a death. We are happy to explain why you should avoid this sweetness for your four-legged friend at all times.
How much chocolate your dog can eat
Of course the – most obvious – answer to this is: none. Prevention is better than cure, and that certainly applies in this case too. It is also true that if you give your dog a piece of chocolate unsuspectingly, this does not necessarily have to be a cause of death. Nevertheless, it remains to be watched out because it is not only the size of the piece of chocolate that is a risk-determining factor. The reaction of the dog will also depend on the sensitivity of the dog itself, its size and the concentration level of the chocolate. What is generally known is that most dogs have to consume a very large dose of chocolate (for example: a bar of 200gr.) Before they get seriously ill.
Why your dog can not eat chocolate
In chocolate, the substance is theobromine. This substance works on the state of mind in people. Dogs do not tolerate this substance, however, because their metabolism can not break down quickly enough. Theobromine can continue to circulate in their blood for up to 20 hours and cause heart attacks. Also epileptic seizures, cramps, a high heart rate and in the worst case death can be the consequences of a theobromine poisoning.
What to do at theobromine poisoning
The faster you are there, the better. There is no drug or antidote for this poisoning. The longer the poison remains in the body of the dog, the greater the chance that the heart muscles of the dog will become completely paralyzed. So it is the question of getting the poison out of the dog’s body as quickly as possible. You can achieve this by vomiting the dog. For this you can put a scoop of salt in his throat (but we do not really recommend this). The best option, however, is to take your dog to the vet for a gastric lavage.
Do you want to stay informed of all new varieties and articles that appear on the website? Register yourself here and you will receive an update every 2 weeks in your mailbox. If you register yourself you can also add comments and get access to our forum. You can always unsubscribe yourself easily.