There are dogs that eat everything. When I speak with other dog owners I sometimes hear them sigh “my dog ??is just like a garbage can he eats everything he encounters:” Some dogs really eat everything and it does not matter whether you have a pedigree dog or a cross. But is mussels so healthy for your dog? Can your puppy or older dog get sick by eating raw or cooked mussels? It will not be the case that your dog can die in the worst case by eating mussels? Do I have to contact a vet directly when my dog ??has eaten mussels? Read on for the answers to these questions.
What are mussels?
The ‘edible mussel’ lives in the sea and is a bivalve mollusk. The mussel shell is pretty thin but firm. The valves of the mussel are closed with very small teeth. The outside of the shell often has a purple-blue color. Mussels also sometimes have a lighter color that can vary from yellow-brown to a green color. The inside of the shell is covered with mother-of-pearl. The mussels are usually anchored on stones and rocks. Mussels are also found on hardened clay bottoms in the sea and are sometimes even anchored to their peers. The mussel is one of the species that is common on the Dutch and Belgian coast. The mussel season used to be only in the months where the R occurred. Nowadays the season runs from mid-July to mid-April. The mussels that are for sale out of season or frozen or imported.
Which nutrients contain mussels?
The mussel contains the following foods:
– egg whites
– very little fat about 1%
Are mussels dangerous for my dog?
Mussels can cause allergies in dogs, just as in humans. So if you want to let a dog eat mussels, try to give it a mussel first. Then keep a close eye on how your dog responds to this.
Insurance for your dog
It can always go wrong .. the costs of draining the stomach of the dog (or worse ..) are sky-high. In almost all cases it is a lot cheaper to give the dog a cheap basic insurance. Compare here the list of cheap dog insurances where you can insure your dog the best and cheapest possible.
Mussels can produce poisonous compounds by ingesting toxic
substances or algae. After eating a poisonous mussel your puppy or older dog can become quite ill and even die. To see if the mussels are not poisonous, you can boil an onion in the pan of mussels. When the onion turns black, it is caused by the toxic sulfur compounds. In case the onion becomes black, you must completely discard the contents of the pan.
Do I have to go to the vet?
When your puppy or older dog gets an allergic reaction by eating mussels, your dog usually gets skin problems. Such as itching over the entire body. Pimple and red bumps can be scratched by the dog due to the itching that develops. Stomach complaints such as diarrhea, belching, breezes and vomiting can be heard in the allergic reactions after eating mussels. Allergies can develop at any age. When you do not trust it and your four-legged friend gets a serious allergic reaction after eating mussels. Consult a veterinarian who can then decide whether to intervene.