Chocolate is poisonous to dogs; however, the hazard of your dog depends on the type of chocolate. You can kill your dog in large enough amounts, chocolate and cocoa products.
Why not chocolate?
– The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine. Humans easily metabolize theobromine, but it’s much more slowly, allowing it to build up toxic levels in their system.
– A large dog can consume more chocolate than a small dog before suffering ill effects.
– A small amount of chocolate will probably give up your stomach with vomiting or diarrhea.
– With large amounts, theobromine can produce muscle tremors, seizures, an irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding or a heart attack. The onset of theobromine poisoning is usually marked by severe hyperactivity.
– The usual treatment for theobromine poisoning is to induce vomiting within two hours of ingestion. If you are worried or suspect that your dog may have a large quantity of chocolate and they are listed below, call your veterinarian immediately.
If you have a box of chocolates, you need to go to your veterinarian right away. Do not wait.
Different chocolate types have different theobromine levels. Cocoa, chocolate and chocolate chocolate contain the highest levels, while chocolate and chocolate have the lowest. If you’re dealing with any quantity of dark or bitter chocolate, err on the side of caution. The high level of theobromine in dark chocolate means it takes only a small amount to poison a dog. Less than an ounce or dark chocolate may be enough to poison a 44-pound dog.