Does your dog have the hiccups? 6 possible causes
Help my dog ??has the hiccups
Do dogs get the hiccups? Yes, every dog ??owner has experienced it, your sweet dog has the hiccups. Most people find it funny and have to laugh about it and some worry that something might be wrong. It is a normal reaction caused by multiple factors, which in general are not a threat to their health. Below some more information about the hiccups in dogs, what causes the hiccups and what you can do about them.
Do dogs really have the hiccups?
Dogs and in special puppies really get the hiccups. Every living thing that has a diaphragm can get the hiccups. This is because the diaphragm (not voluntary) contracts and since the diaphragm has a direct connection with nerves in the dog’s throat, you hear a sound every time it has a spasm. Simply put: A diaphragm is a muscle that distinguishes the abdomen from the chest and ensures that the lungs fill with air. The whole process is similar to that of people and other mammals that have a diaphragm.
What causes the hiccups in dogs?
Of course there are factors that cause hiccups in dogs, but on the other hand, some veterinarians believe that hiccups are a kind of exercise that dogs do for their lungs. They base their theory on the fact that some puppies get the hiccups while they are still in the womb. Apparently puppies should get the hiccups until their lungs adapt to the environment of the outside world. Until now, specialists do not agree on the specific cause of hiccups in dogs.
1. Different veterinarians saw certain symptoms and names for various reasons that can cause the hiccups. The hiccups can be caused by nerve irritation in the diaphragm.
2. Too fast food can also cause the hiccups in dogs. A diet that contains a small amount of liquid food can also lead to hiccups.
3. Overeating is also seen as the cause of the hiccups.
4. Spicy food can also be a cause.
5. If the dog does not drink enough water, the dog can also get the hiccups more often.
6. Also gases from cars, for example, can cause the hiccups due to irritation.
If a puppy or adult dog has the hiccups, but also often vomits, do not ignore this and go to the vet. If your dog does not give much, then the chance is small that something is going on.
How can you stop the hiccup in a dog?
There are several ways to do this, depending on what causes the hiccup in the first place. The idea is to calm your dog when it gets hiccups, as irregular breathing can make it impossible to stop the hiccups. Below is a list of ways to stop the hiccups.
1. A dog gets the hiccups when it grows quickly, so there is not much you can do about it. You can try to calm your dog if he or she seems to be anxious, but otherwise you do not have to do anything.
2. Just like with people, you can try to get the dog or puppy to drink, this often works with people just like withholding the breath, but of course you will not get the last thing with your dog.
3. If the hiccups occur after the dog or puppy has eaten, you are well advised to change the way he or she eats. Maybe the dog is too eager or eats too much in a short period of time without breathing. When this is the case, you can try to give less large portions at once, to pour out of your hand or to pour a little water over the food before you give it.
4. The dog can massage his / her belly can also be a solution. Make sure your dog is lying comfortably and then slowly massage the belly to let the muscles relax.
5. Distraction is also a good way, play a game or do some training exercises.