Why Dogs Howl ?
Packs of canines howl to pull members back together or to help solve pack members reunite with the group. This could be why some domesticated dogs howl from separation anxiety when their owners leave the house.
Canines may be used as members of a potential threat. Haley sometimes uses a howl-like barque when strangers approach the house.
The electronic howl of a sirens makes some dogs answer with a howl of their own. It probably sounds like a dog that instinct kicks in and they respond.
Group howling among dogs (or you and your dog) could be bonding together.
Dogs have been known to howl when they are sick or injured to cry for help or to express pain.
Hunting dogs or how to alert each other or their human hunters when they’ve located their prey.
If a dog gets attention by howling, they quickly learn how much they are bored or lonely.
How to Make Your Dog Howl
1. Howl or sing in a high-pitched tone at your dog, then praise and reward with treats when they are mimic you. After your dog starts to catch on, combine the howling with a command such as “Sing” or “Howl”.
2. Use a harmonica or other musical instrument to experiment with different pitches to try your dog howl.
3. If you have a siren, start giving them a command or cue when it happens. Give praise or treats to reinforce the behavior.
4. Play different types of music to see if your dog will respond and howl. For some reason, the theme song to Law and Order works for a lot of dogs.
5. Download an app with sirens or sounds for your dog’s attention and experiment with your puppy.
6. Set up a video camera and record your dog when you leave home.