You may be wondering, “Can dogs eat grapes ? And how toxic are they ?” The answer is VERY. When a dog eats grapes or raisins, it’s a veterinary emergency in many cases.
You may be wondering, “Can dogs eat grapes?” Great question.
There are several foods that are toxic to pets. From chocolate to grapes, how much is safe to give to your pet Can Dogs Eat Grapes ? They Shouldn’t !
Several substances have been examined to determine the toxin in grapes, such as herbicides and pesticides. Many possibilities have been ruled out, and the exact component of a grape that causes the toxicity is still a mystery. (Grape seed extract is not listed as a threat.)
Toxicity from grapes and raisins can bring about renal (kidney) failure. Treatment will depend on the amount of fruit ingested and how the dog’s body reacts to the toxin.?
Consider the story of Rio. His human, Angela, found him sick one day. A survey of the kitchen found that grapes that had been left out were eaten by Rio. She rushed him to the veterinarian, where Rio had his system flushed and the staff worked on absorbing the toxin.
Rio was under 24-hour care for almost a week and still needed treatment at home. His diet had to be adjusted to compensate for the kidney damage he had suffered, but he did survive. Not all dogs are this lucky.
Both grapes and raisins (dried grapes) are toxic to dogs. The type of grape doesn’t matter; it can be green, red, commercially grown or from your backyard. The source of the toxicity is unknown, but what is known is that dogs have become ill and died from ingesting grapes and raisins.
How Toxic Are Grapes for Dogs ?
The amount of grapes or raisins that can hurt a dog can vary by the dog’s weight. Raisins are more concentrated, so it takes fewer of them to cause problems.
According to Small Animal Toxicology, by Drs. Michael E. Peterson, DVM, MS, and Patricia A. Talcott, MS, DVM, PhD, DipABVT, there’s a way to get a rough estimate of the toxic amount of grapes or raisins for a dog.
– Grapes :
Dangerous doses begin at about 1 or 2 grapes for a 10-pound dog, and 3 or 4 grapes for a 20-pound dog.
– Raisins :
Just 0.7 ounces of raisins may be toxic for a 10-pound dog, and 1.4 ounces for a 20-pound dog.
But some researchers say the amount of grapes/raisins eaten may not have any bearing on how much harm is caused to your pet.
Symptoms of Grape Toxicity in a Dog
A variety of symptoms are possible with grape toxicity in a dog :
– Abdominal pain
– Fluid cessation (will not drink water or urinate)
– Loss of appetite
– Breathing difficulty
– Kidney failure
Death is also a possibility, depending on the amount consumed. Yes, grapes can kill a dog. The body has to process and absorb the grapes, so death is not instantaneous but time is important. The sooner treatment begins, the higher chances of recovery you give to your dog.
What happens when a dog eats grapes? Grape or raisin ingestion should be considered an emergency. Treatment should begin immediately.If the ingestion was within 2 hours, vomiting is usually induced by the veterinary staff and activated charcoal administered. Intravenous fluids may be given for 48 hours. Blood chemistry panels are checked for 72 hours. Other options may include urinalysis, kidney medications or an ultrasound to examine the kidney size and look for mineral deposits.