Ice cream poisonous for dogs
In ice cream is a lot of lactose, from a small lick of ice cream your dog will get nothing only a large amount of ice cream (so lactose) a dog can break off which can cause nausea, abdominal cramps and diarrhea.
The digestion of lactose
Lactose is broken down in the dog’s body and digested by an enzyme lactase. This enzyme is present in large quantities, especially in puppies and young dogs. Puppies make lactase to digest breast milk. As a dog grows older and is no longer fed with breast milk, the body automatically stops producing this enzyme. The enzyme is no longer necessary, because an adult dog does not drink milk by nature. The amount of lactase that the dog’s body produces, decreases rapidly from the age of 3 months.
Ice cream with chocolate
Ice cream with chocolate is more dangerous, chocolate contains theobromine, which is very toxic to dogs and can even be deadly even in small quantities. For dogs that are hypersensitive or allergic to this substance, eating just a few grams of chocolate can have fatal consequences. Unfortunately, there is no antidote to this substance.
Water ice (sometimes very toxic due to sweeteners)
Water ice is generally non-toxic, but extremely toxic if there are sugar-substitute sweeteners. Sweeteners such as aspartame are very dangerous and increase the body’s own insulin, even with small ingestions, sweeteners can lead to a fatal drop in blood sugar levels. If the ice contains no sweetener then it often contains a lot of sugar, this is not toxic but not so good for the teeth, occasionally a piece of water ice (free of sweeteners) can be a nice cooling on hot days, too often water ice giving is not so good for the teeth because of the large amount of sugar. Always look for certainty on the packaging whether there are sweeteners (such as aspartame, acesulfame, cyclamate).
It is therefore important that you, as a dog owner, know about the dangers of some food and plants. What is normal for a person to eat can be very toxic to a dog (eg chocolate, sweetener, nuts, onion, garlic etc.). Plants in the home and around the house can also be dangerous. Puppyplaats has put a large number of toxic substances on a list to make owners aware of the dangers.