Help! My dog ??has eaten chocolate
Why is chocolate toxic to dogs?
Chocolate is not toxic to people, but to dogs. In addition, it is also very toxic to cats and rodents such as hamsters, rabbits, rats and mice. There are two substances in chocolate that are toxic to these animals. These two substances are Theobromine and Caffeine and are in cocoa mass. These animals can not process these substances, so that it is not broken down in the body. It takes a very long time before theobromide and caffeine have disappeared from the body. The toxins accumulate in the body, causing the body to become poisoned. Not only dark chocolate and milk chocolate, but also white chocolate contain theobromine and caffeine.
– Chocolate from the baker is the most toxic
– Pure chocolate comes afterwards
– Milk chocolate is in between
– White chocolate is the least toxic
Whether chocolate can be fatal depends on the weight of the dog, the type of chocolate and the amount of chocolate. When a small dog has eaten as much chocolate as a large dog, the effect is much more serious in the small dog. When a small dog has eaten a lot of white chocolate, it can be just as harmful as a big dog that eats little dark chocolate. The more bitter the chocolate, the more poisonous it is because it contains more theobromine. This makes chocolate from the baker more toxic than dark chocolate. This is because in chocolate from the baker up to 28 miligram per gram of chocolate can sit on theobromine and in normal dark chocolate there is 16 miligram theobromine per gram of chocolate.
Approximately 70 grams of dark chocolate is already deadly in a 10 kilogram dog.
By the theobromine, ulcers can be formed in the stomach. The dog can then immediately vomit and can get diarrhea. The heart muscle is affected by theobromine, because it is absorbed quickly into the body. This gives the dog an irregular and accelerated heartbeat. The dog will start to breathe faster, muscles can contract, which may look like an epileptic attack. The dog can go peeing a lot and will start drinking more, with the chance that this will immediately be spit out. If no action is taken, the dog can die due to a cardiac arrest or a respiratory arrest
What are the symptoms of too much chocolate?
There are all kinds of different reactions that dogs can get, the reactions differ from dog to dog. When a dog has eaten chocolate you will not immediately notice anything. The first symptoms occur only after four to twelve hours. When a dog is pregnant, chocolate can have serious consequences for the puppies. Because of the placenta they get the toxins inside, which can have serious consequences. The first symptoms of a chocolate poisoning are:
– The dog is restless, nervous and excited
– The dog breathes quickly
– The dog has a high heart rate, but the dog does not pant
– The dog tightens his muscles
– The dog shivers while it is not cold
– The dog is nauseous and vomits
– The dog pees a lot
– The dog gets into a coma
– The dog drinks a lot, and spits it out
– The dog has convulsions that resemble an epileptic seizure
What can you do if your dog has eaten chocolate
When your dog has eaten chocolate, it is important that your dog vomits within three hours.
Beware! Do not use salt to induce vomiting, this can be life-threatening. You can go to the vet, the vet will then induce the vomiting. The vet will listen to the heartbeat. An accelerated or irregular heartbeat can be heard, it is possible that the dog dies of acute cardiac arrest and the central nervous system can be affected.
What can you do yourself?
Always call your vet.
Look at which chocolate your dog ate, is it baking chocolate, white, milk or pure?
When did the dog eat chocolate? Try to find out, this is important because the stomach needs a few hours to empty. The chocolate is only absorbed into the blood when it is in the intestines.
Never give salt to the dog to make it vomit.
Go to your vet when the vet discusses this with you.
What will the vet do?
The vet will give an injection to make the dog vomit when it is less than three hours since the dog eats chocolate.
The dog will be admitted if the dog has eaten chocolate more than three hours ago.
What happens next will depend on the symptoms of the dog. This will be adjusted by the veterinarian in consultation with you.